The original name of Chasseneuil du Poitou was Casanoligus. It then went through several name changes over the centuries before definitively and officially becoming Chasseneuil du Poitou by decree on 17 July 1926. Semantics aside, the real story of Chasseneuil du Poitou began in the era of Charlemagne, who as emperor of the West had his own royal villa built here to assert his power in the south of his kingdom.
Although Charlemagne did not stay here for any great period of time, it was here that his son Louis-le-Pieux (Louis the pious) also known as Louis le Débonnaire, was born in 778. Records show that Louis, king of Aquitaine (781-814) and then emperor of the West (814-840), divided his time between Chasseneuil and three other residences. All that remains of the residence at Chasseneuil du Poitou is a small mound of earth not far from the centre of the town called "La Butte de Charlemagne" (Charlemagne's mound).
Despite this, the centuries that followed played a large part in establishing the architectural reputation of the area in and around Chasseneuil du Poitou.
First and foremost is La Vicane in rue de l'église, which served as a staging post for pilgrims heading to Santiago de Compostela.